Grants are monetary awards that you do not have to repay.

The Office of Financial Aid determines eligibility based on information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant
Pell is awarded to students pursuing first undergraduate degrees. Current full-time awards range from $650 to $5,815 for 2016/2017. Recipients may also use the Federal Pell Grant for part-time study. The Federal Pell Grant will be awarded for fall, spring, and summer to ensure the maximum annual Pell award. For more information, click on this Federal Student Aid website.

Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant
The TEACH Grant Program provides up to $4,000 per year for undergraduate and graduate students who intend to teach full-time in high need subject areas for at least four years at schools that serve students from low-income families. For more information, click on this Federal Student Aid website.

For a list of TEACH Grant eligible programs at University of the Southwest, click here

State Grants 

New Mexico Student Incentive Grant (NMSIG)
The NMSIG combines federal and state funds to allow students who are New Mexico residents and show exceptional need, to pursue a higher education. Awards range from $200 to $2500 per year.

For more information, visit the New Mexico Higher Education Dept website.

To qualify for the NMSIG, recipients must meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • New Mexico Resident
  • Undergraduate-First degree seeking
  • Enrolled at least half-time
  • Demonstrate financial need